TMJ Therapy – Sterling Heights, MI
Saying Goodbye to Chronic Jaw Pain
Are you waking up with tenderness in your jaw or excruciating headaches? If this sounds like you, understand millions of Americans have a similar problem. Fortunately, we have a solution – TMJ Therapy from our Sterling Heights, MI dentist. Using an anterior deprogrammer, we can improve your condition and help you perform daily tasks that were once too difficult. Contact us today to find out if you are a candidate for treatment.
Why Choose Forever Young Dentistry for TMJ Therapy?
- Anterior Deprogrammer Used for Acute Cases
- Occlusal Splints Used
- Dental Insurance Welcome and Financing Available
What is TMJ?
The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is at work every time you open and close your mouth, chew, laugh, and eat. But patients can suffer painful side effects when the joint is not in proper working order. Patients with TMJ issues or an inflamed TMJ often clench or grind their teeth while they sleep, have had trauma or jaw injuries, or have issues with arthritis. With any of these problems, patients often experience:
- Pain or swelling in the jaw.
- Pain while eating or opening their mouths.
- Soreness in the jaw, head, neck, and shoulders.
- Clicking, locking, or popping in their jaw.
- Ringing in the ears or numbness of the fingertips.
How To Relieve Your TMJ Pain
There is not just one cause for TMJ pain. Some of the most common sources include:
- Bruxism. Grinding your teeth causes pain because it involves putting a great deal of pressure on your TMJ. This can also happen if you have the tendency to clench your teeth, which also puts pressure on your jaw joints.
- Damage to the TMJ. If the soft cushion between the ball and socket joint in your jaw slides out of place, grinding can occur between bones, which will lead to a great deal of pain.
- Arthritis in the TMJ. If you have developed arthritis, you will feel a great deal of pain that will need to be treated as soon as possible.
- Stress. Stress can lead to health problems throughout your body. Specifically, with your TMJ, stress can cause the muscles to tighten and result in a lot of pain.
How Are TMDs Treated?
There are many ways to treat TMJ issues. At Forever Young Dentistry, we look at how your TMJ and bite work together and then determine the best course of treatment. We provide everything from night mouthguards, muscle therapy, and drug therapy to even more in-depth treatments to find out how your bite and jaw can better function together.
What is the Kois Deprogrammer?
The Kois Deprogrammer resembles a retainer and is used to help us diagnose the best spot for your bite and jaw. The appliance is made from plastic and is designed to be worn for two weeks. It should be worn at all times except when cleaning and eating. The device is called a deprogrammer because it “deprograms” the joint by placing it in the most appropriate position.